Assistant professor cover letter sample in Molecular Biology

I am writing to apply for the assistant professor position beginning September 2003, as advertised in the October 11 issue of Science. I completed my PhD in Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in October 2003. As an alumnus of a small liberal arts college, Iknow and value the excellent education that smaller institutions provide to undergraduate students. I would be honored to join the Amherst community as an assistant professor.
My research and teaching interests have been fostered by several years of undergraduate teaching and mentoring at Illinois. I have taught discussion and laboratory sections for both introductory molecular and cellular biology and for introductory genetics for three semesters each. In addition, I also taught a section ofa summer school laboratory course on the principles and techniques of molecular biology and supervised the undergraduate research of several students here at Illinois.
My research has focused upon elucidating the mechanisms of the P element insertion in Drosophila melanogaster. My dissertation research on molecular evolution and population genetics of transposable elements in natural Drosophila populations built upon this topic. This research and the projects that will stem from it can be adapted to provide undergraduates with research opportunities for their Senior Honors projects at Amherst and would also complement the existing strengths of the department. My graduate school experiences have reinforced my appreciation for the liberal arts college environment. I have missed the small classes, active learning opportunities, and interdisciplinary students motivated by curiosity and love of learning. I look forward to once again becoming part of a liberal arts community and I can think of no better environment than the Amherst Biology Department in which to grow as an educator and scientist.
I am enclosing my CV and statement of teaching philosophy. Letters of recommendation are being mailed under separate cover.
Thank you very much for your consideration.

0 comments: