Biotechnology SOP sample

“Education is a companion which no future can depress, no crime can destroy, no enemy can alienate it and no nepotism can enslave”
It is this maxim that urged me to think higher right from my young age. Science has always been a fascination and more of a miracle to me from my childhood. It was during my schooling I happened to attend a two-day workshop on life science, this is where my mind-boggling miracles gained life. The world of “Cloned Dollies” and the termed coined “Biotechnology” further kindled my puerile passion and turned out my interests and curiosities into realities. At the adolescent age all I knew was “Biotechnology was not just a tool that benefits an individual, but also the entire community and society at large. I want to be a part of the existing race to create a more scientifically advanced tomorrow and I envision graduate studies as a path towards my advancement in this direction.
The relentless hard work coupled with self-confidence rewarded me with a distinction of 92.98% in my Higher Secondary examinations. Especially my grade of 98.4% in Physics and Chemistry opened up the doors for me to secure admission in the program, Bachelor of Technology in Industrial Biotechnology at Anna University- College Name. The College is known for its infrastructure in Biological science. During my period of study here, I excelled in courses like Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Bioprocess Principles and Engineering, Bio and Chemical Thermodynamics, Enzyme Engineering. This provided a firm foundation and took me a step closer towards the field of Industrial Biotechnology to fulfill my goal. The fascinations and promises held out by various areas in Biochemistry, Genetic Engineering and Molecular Biology captivated me. I volunteered to take part in Seminars and Symposia in and outside College on different topic such as “DNA microchips”,” Neural disorders-Alzheimer's disease” and “edible vaccine”, where I could bring out my presentation and oratorical skills in my reports and speech. I remain indebted to my professors who have fostered in me a flair and flamboyance for higher education and an achievement of 80.4% aggregate.
In the due course, I did my first project on “Effluent treatment on paper and pulp industries using microbes”. In my third year I had an opportunity to work for Dr.xxx, Assistant professor in the Center for Plant Molecular Biology, Tamilnadu Agricultural University as an intern where I worked on “Immunological Techniques”,” plant tissue culture “ and “transformation” that gave me good practical skills .our college created opportunities for industrial visits to reputed biotechnology centers like “Genie” Bangalore, “Biocon” Bangalore, “Center for DNA finger printing and diagnostics (CDFD),”Shantha Biotechnics” both located in Hyderabad. This motivated me to do my final year project on “Gene transfer techniques” under Dr.xxxx, Scientist in Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI). The project paved way to sharpen my technical skills in the field of molecular biology.
Today Biotechnology is a ubiquitous presence across the globe; therefore to keep abreast, I read journals like “Advanced Biotechnology” and “Nature”. Life in college had a mélange of few extra curricular activities like skits, literary works and sports.
“A leader is one who seeks best for those he serves”. I am no different. I led my project group during the third year and also represented the college tennis team. I was an active member of the Indian society of technical education (ISTE) for a couple of years. I have served as the community service director of my college Rotract club and have organized several charity events.
I believe that the knowledge I have gained is little and there is much more to learn and relearn. So with the knowledge I posses and desire to learn more, along with my leadership abilities, make graduate study a natural choice for me. I am sure that a M.S in your university will definitely widen the horizons of my knowledge and help me attain a milestone in my career.
I am a stern believer of attitude, quality, and hard work. I promise to attain meteoric heights and bring glory to your institution, if I am given a chance.

0 comments: